top of page

Vaginal Birth after a Cesarean (VBAC, VBA2C, VBAMC)

I pride myself on being a VBAC supportive provider, rather than a "tolerant" provider. I welcome you to explore my services and how I can support you in having the VBAC that you desire. Feel free to contact me with any questions you may have regarding VBAC.

Having a successful VBAC is largely dependent on the provider. My clients' vbac success rate is 88% in those who have had one prior cesarean. In those that have had two prior cesareans, the rate is 75%.

Statistically, women who attempt a trial of labor after a Cesarean have about a 70% success rate. If your provider’s VBAC rate is much lower than this, it could be a major red flag that they are not truly supportive of VBACs. Despite the high VBAC success rate for women who have a trial of labor after a Cesarean, only about 10% of women will ever try for a vaginal delivery. The other 90% will go on to have repeat cesareans. The biggest reasons for this is that many women don’t feel supported by their providers in attempting VBACs or because they are simply told that they cannot or should not attempt a VBAC.

New studies reveal that when cesarean section rates rise towards 10% across a population, the number of maternal and newborn deaths decreases. There leaves no doubt that cesarean births can be appropriate and necessary. However, when the cesarean rate goes above 10%, there is no evidence that mortality rates improve. Cesarean rates vary widely amongst providers. This is a clear indication that the "need" for a cesarean is largely dependent on provider preference.

You can check cesarean rates here.

  1. Scroll down to "What is my Doctor's cesarean rate?"

  2. Leave "pregnancy" in the pink box and click next

  3. Fill out the next categories to customize what you're looking for and your area.

  4. It will match you with the Doctor's in your area on the left hand side

  5. Click on the name to view their profile

  6. Scroll down to C-section rate

With a primary cesarean rate of 26 to 52 percent in Connecticut hospitals, many mothers are finding themselves the recipients of unnecessary surgeries. While they appreciate that a birth by cesarean resulted in a healthy baby, they can still feel sad, confused, angry, or traumatized about the experience itself. When planning a subsequent pregnancy, they begin to research midwifery and homebirth as a means to have a Vaginal Birth After Cesarean, or VBAC, thus avoiding a subsequent unnecessary surgical birth.

Home birth continues to grow as educated women realize that the current hospital model is not evidence based. As VBAC and repeat cesarean both carry risks and benefits, and women are the ones who bear and endure those risks, they should be the ones who choose which mode of delivery is acceptable to them.

Based on a review of 28 high-quality studies, the Coalition for Improving Maternity Services Expert Work Group found that in comparison to care provided by physicians for similar populations, care provided by professional midwives resulted in fewer cesareans, more VBACs, the same or better maternal and perinatal health benefits, and no worse outcomes.

Disclaimer: This Content is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this Website.

Recent Posts
Search By Tags
No tags yet.
Follow Us
  • Facebook Basic Square
  • Twitter Basic Square
  • Google+ Basic Square
bottom of page